Monday, May 6, 2013

Review: The Selection

Book: The Selection
Author(s): Kiera Cass
Length: 327 pages

Publisher: HarperTeenPublication Date: April 24, 2012
Why I Picked It Up: To me the premise was really interesting and although I was really put off by the bad reviews I finally decided to pick it up.

I have never claimed to have good taste. I love a trashy bodice ripper, more of my reading selections are of the YA genre than I possibly care to admit, and sometimes when reading something of actual literary value, I get bored before the end and skim the last quarter of the book. So the idea that I may have enjoyed something a book that others hated is not outside the realm of possible or even probable  Enter The Selection of Kiera Cass. Prior to its release in April 2012 there was a huge amount of hype around this book, after The CW picked it up for a series. When people started actually reading it, however, it just didn't live up. As I said the bad reviews out me off for a while, but then my library got a copy and I decided "Why not?".

And then it happened- I actually enjoyed it. Was it my Favorite. Book. EVER! No. It wasn't even something I would go out of my way to recommend to others. And goodness knows I love to recommend. Either way I liked it, and will probably read the rest of the series. But there it is, I liked something that everyone else hated. And that's sort of a weird place to be. Here is the Goodreads description:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. 

To start here's what I liked:

1. The story- It's actually a pretty good premise. In early press this was described this was described as The Hunger Games meets The Bachelorette. I absolutely see The Bachelorette connection, but not so much The Hunger Games, as these girls are not fighting for their life. Either way, it's an interesting idea of being thrown into a situation in which you have to choose your spouse from a set group. And of course I could just watch trashy reality TV (and I do), but on those shows there is very belief that contestants are actually trying to build a lasting relationship. 

2. The relationships between America and the other girls- Throw 35 teenage girls in a room and you expect fighting, back stabbing, and other activities that result in overwrought tears and hysterics. And you get all of that. And America is not above all of that, but she does at times combat that stereotype by being loyal to her friends, steadfast in her beliefs, and generally more mature than expected.

And here's what I didn't:

1. America. She's a whiny pain in the @ss. Sorry I had to say it.
2. The writing is just not my favorite. It's not that it's bad, it's completely competent, it's just not all that exciting.

3. The way the story is told. It's just such a good premise and the finished project is just not all that good.

 So give it the old 50 pages try. Maybe you won't like it, maybe you will. 

** So because I am oh so negligent about updating, this review is actually like 10 months old. The second book in the series The Elite has come out and I actually finished it last week. Unclear if I'll review or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment